Friday, December 14, 2007

And here is the what is to be part...

My wife and I are expecting our first.  We actually just found out yesterday that he/she is going to be a he!  Mark Gavin Sims... Mark, after the writer of the Gospel and probably Peter's letters and possibly even the boy in the Garden who's clothing was lost while climbing the wall.  And Gavin?  I have no clue, it just popped up in conversation one day and we both like it.  My problem now is that I have several months of constant day-dreaming.  I know I may be premature but I want to write my son a letter...

My dearest Mark,
     As I ponder the writing of this letter before you are even born, so many images race through my mind.  I see the two of us napping on the couch on a Sunday afternoon watching football.  I see us both down on the floor playing with blocks and cars as I did when I was a little boy.
     I already know that my heart will break at every hurt that you suffer while learning about the world around you and it will leap for joy at every wonderful discover made at the same time.  I treasure the times that we will have reading a book together or even a simple game of rolling down a hill.
     Then when you are first off to school, I will be as scared of you leaving for your fist day of school as you are but I can not show it.  I will look forward to you sharing each evening the new things that you have learned and the new friends made.
     Next we will have to deal with your years of asserting your individuality.  If you give me as much trouble as I gave your grandparents I will need all the strength that God gives me!  But I hope you do well with sports and with your mind.
     And then comes the man that started as my little boy.  Making a life for himself, starting his own family, whatever the future holds.
     
     But throughout all of these stages, I hope to be faithful.  Faithful to my Lord in teaching you His love for you and all that that means.  Teaching you throughout every step of your life to conduct yourself and seek after being a Christ follower.  Then no matter into what direction you may go, you go into the world being Known as a man after God's own heart.          
    That is all I can do, that is my measure, my yardstick held against the wall to check off my worth as a Dad.  Did I take care of a family and raise a son that is a man of God?  This is my prayer for you Mark and the blessing I give you...  I pray that you will fully know the love of Christ and what He did for you.  Amen

And never forget that though your care has only been lent to me by our Father above, I will always love you.

Your Earthly Father

1 comment:

Robin said...

Congrats to you and your wife! Children are amazing blessings and they teach us so much! I have two treasures that I cherish and thank God for loaning them to me.

Very cool letter to your son...Keep it up he will cherish the letters one day.