Tuesday, January 15, 2008

How far should we go?

How far is too much? I realize that, as a Christian, I am not to think of myself, to place myself last and serve others first. I do this because our example on the life we are to live, Jesus, told us that this is how we are supposed to live and modeled that way of life for us while He was here on Earth.

But, does there come a time when serving others becomes presenting myself as a welcome mat for others to walk on? Is there a difference? I mean Jesus served with all He had, including His life, for all of us. There were also times when He expressed indignation and anger (think confronting Pharisees and overturning tables in the temple courts).

Now, I enjoy serving people around me. But, when those same loved ones and friends do not acknowledge that service for what it is and only see my actions as being a pushover, is that counter-productive? I know all of the thoughts that our way of addressing the world will be seen as weak to begin with because we have different ways of viewing life and our reason for being here and what we have to look forward to at a later time. I have no issue with that expectation, but, is there a line that is too far?

Just some random musings and thoughts, but I would like to hear feedback on this one.

6 comments:

Tam said...

Hey friend! Great thoughts here. I think it is easy to become a doormat. I think what gets people to that point is different from one person to another but I think what keeps them there is the difference between being a peace maker and peace keeper. I know plenty of doormats who are peace keepers. That's why they're doormats. They're not willing to stand up and shake themselves off (so to speak) Can't ruffle feathers now can we.

Maybe this isn't where you were heading but it's what came to my mind first. =)

Anonymous said...

Hey Sean, thanks for coming over to the blog today!

Here is my take on it. We are only to serve one person...God. If we are to please Him, than that may include ridicule and mistreatment from others. If we are doing unto others, just to be good people, we will have issues. But if we are looking at how to please God in all we do, then reactions and mistreatment from others will not be as much of an issue.

Sean Sims said...

Okay, now I have both of you heavy thinkers crowding in on me, haha!

No, definitely great to talk to both of you (nothing against talking to just you Tam!).

Okay... Tam, thanks for bringing up that aspect. My pastor did a great sermon series on going along versus actually working at making things work and your comment brought that back to mind, time to break out the cd again.

Brent, your comment is a little harder to swallow, maybe because there is difficult truth in it. You are making me think about who am I really serving for, God or am I at the party of 'I am the pious believer in the midst of these unsaved'. Thank you for the insight and food for thought. And don't worry, I'll be back to your blog. I love the thoughts and questions that both of you put out there. Great stuff and I can relate on some of it!.

Tam said...

Yah, Brent has that effect on people =)

"(nothing against talking to just you Tam!)"

Completely understand! Just remember I was your friend first - HAHAHA!!!

Sean Sims said...

You heard her Brent, I have a feeling that I would be in big trouble if I forget who's friend I was first! haha

Anonymous said...

There is no way I would get in the way of that Sean...my wife wins...period :)